The Armed Forces and Police Savings & Loan Association, Inc. (AFPSLAI) held its 41st Annual Membership Meeting (AMM) at the Bulwagang Heneral Arturo T Enrile in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City on May 25, 2013.
Regular members assembled as early as 6:00 AM to register and the Meeting started at 8:15 AM, upon the arrival of the AFP Chief of Staff and Chairman of the Board , Gen Emmanuel T Bautista, AFP. Main highlights of the meeting are the review of the Association’s accomplishments for the previous year through the President’s Report; Amendments to the By-Laws; and Election of the Members of the Board of Trustees for 2013-2014. For the first time in the history of the Association, the President and CEO, Lt Gen Cardozo M Luna AFP (Ret) delivered his report in Filipino as suggested during the 2012 AMM. He announced that AFPSLAI made a quantum leap as it reached another breakthrough in its financial targets. The highest net income was recorded in 2012 compared to 2004 which was considered by the company as its benchmark year. Other financial highlights of his report are as follows: Gross income of Php 7.96B which is 16% higher than the 2011 figure of Php 6.84B; Total Expenses of Php 1.69B which is lower than the Php 1.75B allocation by 3%; Total Assets of Php 49.94B which is 10% higher from the 2011 figure of Php 45.28B; Loans Production of Php 35.56B which is 18% higher than previous year’s production of Php 30.14B; and Capital Contribution of Php 33.58B, which is 9% higher than the Php 30.68B in 2011.
Among the company’s operational highlights that the President & CEO mentioned were the enhancement of AFPSLAI’s computerized system that was instituted in January 2012; improvement of processing time for vehicle loan; enhancement of consumption loans being offered to BFP and BJMP market; reduction of pension advance charges from Php 1.75 to Php 1.00 per day for every thousand or fraction thereof ; and improvement for the convenience of transacting members of Iloilo Branch Office with the inauguration of its new building in May 2012. AFPSLAI’s advocacy on corporate philanthropy is also recognized as one of its paramount achievements. LtGen Luna stressed that through its 40 years of providing financial solutions to members’ needs, the Association’s initiatives to reinforce corporate social responsibility (CSR) is just as important. Some of the CSR programs are the Donation Program where a total of Php 27.72M was given to major service units of our members agencies in support of their undertakings, Outreach Program through medical missions in AFPSLAI Branch Offices, Scholarship Program which has produced 152 graduates, and the Assistance to Lift Members’ Survivors (ALMS) Program that released a total of Php 36.66M as financial assistance to legal beneficiaries of qualified deceased members.
Major activities that highlighted the celebration of AFPSLAI’s 40th Anniversary in 2012 was very meaningful as it became an avenue for the company to give back to its members. Loan rebates that totaled to Php 150M were released in June 2012 for salary/ pension loan, multi-purpose loan and emergency loan borrowers with updated payments. A Raffle Bonanza and special promotions for caravan activities were initiated where Php 50M was allotted for the purpose. The President applauded the employees and members alike who have brought the Association to its position as the leader in the industry.
Elected members of the Board of Trustees were: Gen Emmanuel T Bautista AFP, Col Wilfredo G Nuqui (Ret), LTGEN Cardozo M Luna AFP (Ret), RADM Ramon T Punzalan AFP (Ret), Col Diosdado M Domingo (Ret), P/C Supt Danny Ramon E Siongco (Ret), P/C Supt Rex Milton A Dolino (Ret), Mr Romeo D Roderos, P/DepDir Gen Felipe Rojas Jr, P/DirNapole on R Estilles, Col Anastacio C CabadingJr (GSC) PA, Captain Ramon S Ochoco (GSC) PN, Col Florante M Amano (GSC) PAF, Col Danilo T Cortez (GSC) PA and FCMS Guillermo P Francisco (INF) PA.
In a Special Board Meeting, the Corporate Officers were elected. Gen Emmanuel T Bautista AFP was elected as the Chairman and Col Wilfredo G Nuqui (Ret) as the Vice Chairman of the Board. LtGen Cardozo M Luna AFP (Ret) and MGen Romeo D Lustestica AFP (Ret) were re-appointed as the President & CEO and Executive Vice-President & General Manager, respectively. The other Corporate Officers were retained in their respective posts, namely: Atty Samuel B Padilla as the Corporate Secretary, Mr Hector M Atienza as Treasurer and Ms Rosario D Santos as Comptroller.
The following were the proposed amendments to the AFPSLAI By-Laws, which were approved during the 41st Annual Membership Meeting last May 25, 2013:
Section 126.96.36.199 - Associate members shall consist of the
a) The legitimate spouse and legitimate children of regular married members; provided that the legitimate children are at least twenty-one years of age and are gainfully employed.
Section 188.8.131.52 - Associate members shall consist of the
a) The legitimate spouse and children of regular
married members; provided that the children are at
least twenty-one years of age and are gainfully employed.
DISPOSITION OF UNCLAIMED BALANCES
Section 1. - Subject to the policy and implementing
guidelines to be issued by the Board of Trustees,
capital contributions, savings deposits, and dividends of deceased members left unclaimed; dormant savings deposits of those members who have not made further deposits or withdrawals; and credits and other payables which remain outstanding for ten years or more shall form part of the income of the Association, unless otherwise provided by law (n). Article IV to Article XVI of the existing By-Laws will be renumbered as Article V to Article XVII.
* Implementation of the amendments to the By-Laws will be effective upon approval by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Excerpt from the speech of Ms. Ana Paula P Agrante (Our Lady of Fatima University / BS Psychology) during the Recognition of AFPSLAI Class 2013
Three years ago, May of 2010, I was seated in this hall as one of the new recipients of the AFPSLAI scholarship. I was ecstatic and enthusiastic, full of hope and greatly honoured for the opportunity that AFPSLAI had given me... EDUCATION. Before, this was merely a dream and a whispered prayer.
Finally, after all the frustrations and dilemmas that my family and I have surpassed, I am here now. I have achieved this success and it is because of you AFPSLAI, and my family. My diploma is the key to pursuing my thousand other dreams. I promise that I will enrich what I have now and continue to make you and my family proud. Knowledge is the best wealth that a man can ever have and it can only be achieved through education. My gratitude to AFPSLAI is insurmountable because it has paved the way for my education. I will never forget and I will be indebted to the people behind the AFPSLAI Scholarship Program. You made my college education easier and life less stressful. You have made me become the strong, independent woman that I am now.
Thank you AFPSLAI for nurturing me in attaining my goals and dreams. I owe much to you. You are truly a blessing to those who want to pursue their dreams. God bless you and more power!
Excerpt from the letter of Ms. Zuzette Grace A Genove (Lyceum of the Philippines University / BS International Relations)
The Scholarship helped in various ways not just by supporting my studies and paving the way to achieve my goals. The values of commitment to excellence, perseverance and hard work are the greatest gifts this scholarship has instilled in every scholar like me.
Being an AFPSLAI scholar is indeed a life-changing experience. I, together with my mother, will be forever grateful that I was given this kind of opportunity. For four years, you have been there to lighten my family’s financial burden; you’ve been my pillar of success which brings me closer to achieving my goal of becoming a successful Diplomat. Most importantly, you’ve always been there to inspire, teach and unfasten the reality of life for me that education is the only thing that people could treasure forever, more than money, fame, and luxury. It is something that no one could ever take away from me.
Kudos to the graduates and may AFPSLAI continue to inspire and help deserving students in achieving their dreams. Again, thank you for granting me this scholarship. God bless AFPSLAI and the scholars!
AFPSLAI received 197 scholarship applications from the branch offices for the school year 2013-2014. After careful deliberation by the Academic Committee, 35 scholars were slotted based on the criteria in the existing policy. Thirty-three of them will be taking up baccalaureate courses, while two will be taking up vocational courses. The new scholars for 2013 are:
- Ms Marie Frances Duca (Miriam College/ AB Communication)
- Ms Claress Montojo (Adamson University / BS Mining Engineering)
- Ms Clarisse Reyes (Asia Pacific College / BS Computer Engineering)
- Mr Kim Ivander Dacillo (Ateneo De Mani la University/ BS Psychology)
- Ms Anna Kristia Malabanan (Lyceum of the Philippines- Laguna/ BS International Travel & Tourism Management)
- Ms Diana Rizz Araña (Our Lady of Fatima University/ BS Medical Technology)
- Mr Jayson Contreras (Asian Institute of Maritime Studies/ BS Marine Transportation)
- Ms Cheyenne Teng (UP Los Baños/ BS Civil Engineering)
- Mr Ray Matthew Cortez (PUP Sta Mesa/ BS Biology)
- Ms Syndex Padilla (STI Fairview / BS Computer Engineering)
- Ms Jelly Beltran (PUP Sta Mesa/ BS Tourism)
- Ms Gabrielle Anne Robles (University of Santo Tomas/ Bachelor of Fine Arts Major in Advertising Arts)
- Ms Ernelyn Du (University of Perpetual Help-Delta/ BS Medical Technology)
- Mr Mark Christian Sanchez (De La Salle University / BS Computer Engineering)
- Ms Andrea Kim Catapang (Centro Escolar University Makati/ Dental Medicine)
- Ms Rochelle Sarmiento (UP Los Baños/ BS Biology)
- Ms Joanna Marie Del Mundo (Batangas State University/ General Engineering)
- Ms Bella Fe Sicam (Cavite State University / BS Industrial Technology)
- Ms Virra Marie Fernandez (Holy Angel University/ BS Industrial Engineering)
- Ms Mary Ann Joy Sibal (Holy Angel University / BS Architecture)
- Ms Daisamae Sumaoang (Centro Escolar University-Manila/ BS Psychology)
- Ms Abby Jane Laza (Saint Louis University/ Bachelor in Medical Lab Science)
- Mr Kenneth Laila (Southern Luzon State University/ BS Computer Engineering)
- Ms Ailine Bulalacao (Universidad De Sta Isabel/ BS Medical Technology)
- Ms Jone Zelita Orlina (Silliman University/ BS Mechanical Engineering)
- Ms Anna Rose Abada (Cebu Doctor’s University / BS Pharmacy)
- Ms Orange Lucero (University of San Jose -Recoletos / BS Psychology)
- Ms Mary Coleen Rañin (Velez College/ BS Occupational Therapy)
- Mr Brian Ramos (Riverside College/ BS Psychology)
- Ms Joni Garcia (Central Philippine University/ BS Electronics and Communications Engineering)
- Ms April Mae Fernandez (Iloilo Doctor ’s College/ Dental Medicine)
- Mr Jonathan Magan Jr (UP Visayas/ AB Political Science)
- Ms Helen Greece Lustre (Universidad De Zamboanga/ BS Medical Technology)
- Ms Raynalyn Tapaoan (Asian Caregiving & Technology Education Center/ Healthcare Servicing)
- Mr Jason Titular (Philippine State College of Aeronautics/ Associate in Aviation Electronic Technology)
In a simple ceremony last May 31, 2013, theAssociation recognized its Class of 2013, namely:
Ms April Vicente A Pambid(University of SantoTomas/ BS Civil Engineering/cum laude)
Mr April John Grepel G Niebres(De La Salle University-Dasmariñas/AB Communication)
MsZuzette Grace A Genove(Lyceum of thePhilippines University/BS International Relations)
Ms Ana Paula P Agrante(Our Lady of FatimaUniversity/ BS Psychology)
Ms Karen M Verzosa(Adamson University/ BSInformation Technology/magna cum laude)
Mr Mark Vincent P Bayan (Polytechnic University of the Philippines-Sto Tomas/BS Accountancy)
Mr Arnold P Gabales(University of San Jose-Recoletos/BSBA Financial Management)
Ms Feb N Rodriguez (Silliman University/ BS Information Technology)
MsEmmalynKeziah N Lajot(Silliman University/ BS Nursing)
MsShena Mary P Añasco(Holy Name University/ BSBA Management Accounting/ cumlaude)
Ms Eva Cristine T Castillo (Franciscan College of the Immaculate Concepcion/Diploma in Midwifery)
Ms Mae Anne D Balen(University of SanCarlos/ BS Management Accounting/magna cum laude)
MsSheilalaine T Habbie(Notre Dame of Jolo College/ BS Nursing)
Ms Nikki M Kuizon(Silliman University/ BS Medical Technology)
MrFitzjason A Angeles (Central Mindanao University/ AB Psychology/ cum laude)
AFPSLAI President & CEO and EVP-GM awarded the plaques of recognition and tokens to the scholar graduates. The affair also featured touching testimonials by the parents of scholar-graduates Ms Karen Verzosa (Class of 2013) and Ms Jean Catherine Nismal (Class of 2008) who shared how the AFPSLAI Scholarship Program had changed their lives. The event was culminated by an inspirational talk byPresident & CEO, LtGen Cardozo M Luna AFP (Ret), who emphasized the importance of aiming for excellence in every endeavor not just for oneself, but also for family and for the nation. AFPSLAI has been assisting underprivileged but deserving dependents of Regular Members in its Scholarship Program since 2002. From that time, it has produced a total of 152 alumni, 38 of whom have graduated with honors.